Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mechanics, or car orientated people, college girl needs advice on vehicle.?

I need a decent car. I know that Nissan's last usually as long as you are good to it. I found a nice used car for college, it's a 94 Nissan with 135k for miles which I know anything over 100k is taking a risk but I need a car, and fast. Good or Bad Idea? Its in my limited price range and I cant get a loan so does anyone have advice? I checked it out and it seems to run well.Mechanics, or car orientated people, college girl needs advice on vehicle.?
cars i have owned; ford tempo (2 of them)= 330,000 km (not miles)


ford Taurus = 290,000 km not as good as tempos


jeep wagoner(the small one) = 290,000 %26amp; still


going


honda accord = 190,000 km then died RIP


stick to north american cheeper parts, last longer.Mechanics, or car orientated people, college girl needs advice on vehicle.?
I too am in the same spot that you are in. I am in the market and I found what I am looking for. This is how I went about my search, I looked for something that was better on gas than my 92 honda accord. It got crapy gas milage 15 miles to the gallon. So anything better than that I figured I wasen't doing to bad. Something that was atleast getting 25 or 30 miles to the gallon.
High mileage Nissans are usually pretty good as long as they are well maintained. Oil changes and regular tuneups are important.


Check it for leaks and strange sounds coming from the engine while it's running. Another thing is to check the CV shafts for any clicking sounds as you're driving or when making turns. The CV shafts are connected to the transmission which in turn are connected to your front wheels/tires. Check for torn CV axle shaft boots. They are made from a rubber like material that tears after awhile.
try to find a honda civic. maybe an adult owned one that was used for commuting. usually good for 200k.
If you are willing to spend a little upfront money, go with the seller to a Nissan dealer and get a complete presale inspection done. The inspector will give you an honest appraisal of the fitness of the car and any work that immediately needs to be done. Depending on where you live, this can cost $150-$250. Trust me, it is money well spent. If the seller balks at this, write him off immediately.
as long as it in good shape now. you take care of it you can expect 300,000 miles from it, every nissan i had got that and was still going good when i sold them.
little high miles what is your price range cause right now I have a nice car for sale it runs and drives my 17 year old sister in law drives it everywhere and it has a new motor in it. it has ground effects and new paint it is a nice car I would want it if I didn't buy a new pickup you can email me if you want details or pictures at jen1999_81@yahoo.com
All cars will need its repair,some more than others,if you like the car,and it fit your budget,take care of it,CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3 THOUSAND MILES like they say and that car will go for ever....
It depends how well its been taken care of.. spend a couple of bucks and take it in to a mechanic(that you know or trust) to check over. I've seen cars like this run for 300k but thats the exception. 94 is getting kinda old so don't pay too much for it...ps if you don't know a good mechanic don't bother I have been a mechanic but I wouldn't take a car just anywhere... there are honest mechanics but alot of crooked shops too
Nissan is a great car, and 135K miles is not a lot of miles for a nissan. They seem to run forever. It sounds great. I would just take it to a mechanic that you trust and have them look at it to make sure nothing is wrong with it before you purchase it.
Any vehicle over 100,000 will start having ';issues'; but it's a matter of comparing those little annoyances with buying a vehicle that has less mileage, even new cars break down and require repairs. So it's always a gamble, consult the ';consumers guide'; on dependability reports and the ';blue book'; car value guide, but a lot of it has to do with rust and how well the previous owner treated/maintained it or if it's had a lot of abuse and body repair? These days cars lasting 200,000 miles (if no roadsalt in your area) is not unusual. I would guess that vehicle should last another 30,000 to 50,000, while in college you should look more for basic transportation than ';cool'; because strange things happen on campus :P
Well, you're right, anything above 100k is a risk, but sometimes you don't have a choice.





You'll probably be alright, but you do need to have it inspected by a mechanic to be sure. You could be on the verge of needing alot of expensive repairs, such as timing belt, other belts, etc.





If your car is smoking a blue color, its burning oil and will probably actually be ok for awhile, as long as you keep adding to it - but if its burning any white smoke at all, then you may have a head gasket going bad - and thats very expensive to fix.





Just take it easy, make sure to have it checked out regularly, and you'll probably be ok, as long as a mechanic signs off on it.





Good luck.
take it to amechanic and have it checked out first mileage isint nearly as important if the car has had regular maintenance
  • pink blush
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment