Saturday, July 31, 2010

ADHD- Why do people give advice about things they don't know about?

I read questions asking about their child and ADHD and ADD. There are people out there who say its the drug companies who make this stuff up and its lazy teachers that just wanna break. If a child has ADHD, its so real. Both my boys have it. My child suffered because I was on the kick that I wasn't gonna drug my child etc. Know who I hurt.....him. He was failing in school, he had no friends, he was reading way below his level. He couldn't play sports because he couldn't pay attention. Now he is doing great in school, he has friends, he enjoys reading, he loves to play basketball. His life has completely changed and he is so much happier. Where do people who have no kids get off telling parents that ADHD is not real. These kids need help and we owe it to them to have happy childhoods. I agree that there are kids that are wrongly diagnosed because poor discplined. To say it doesn't exist...come on!ADHD- Why do people give advice about things they don't know about?
my son has adhd. we put him on meds and i cop it from every1, i hate hearing it. i dont tell other people how 2 bring up there kids. but 1 year later he is top of his class and not in anymore fights, he can except reason now. but the best thing is that i see him smile, he is happy now. i would not change what we did, and hope 1 day he might be able to come off them until then his life is so much better. he even has friends now, and he is only 7....ADHD- Why do people give advice about things they don't know about?
I totally agree with you my son also has adhd and he can function so much better when he takes his meds every morning you can DEFINITELY tell when he hasn't taken them. The only thing i wish the drug wouldn't do is kill his growth and appetite he's 11 and my 8 yr old daughter is almost taller and weighs more than him and he's never hungry during the day but at night when the meds wear off he's starved and eats like a cow so he makes it up, but i figure i'd rather have him be able to function now and hopefully soon he'll have a big growth spurt and maybe he'll eventually grow out of the adhd we can hope.. thanks for your thoughts i can only add that its a hard decision for any parent and you have to really look hard at your child and decide what's best for him/her. :)
I totally agree with you. My child is ADHD. I just love it when others tell you it is because you don't discipline them enough, or the ';right way';. I do not medicate my child, because her doctor actually didn't like the idea. There are other factors with her too. Anyway, we use other ';tools'; to control it. But, I do understand what you are saying. I hate when people try to say it is the parents not disciplining properly. It is a chemical imbalance. Mine has gotten a lot better, but we have also been working on it for a few years now! Good luck to you!
AMEN! Thank you!
wouldn't this article be enough to NOT put kids on drugs





';Child drugs linked to heart attack





Clara Pirani / The Australian | March 28 2006





CHILDREN as young as five have suffered strokes, heart attacks, hallucinations and convulsions after taking drugs to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.





Documents obtained by The Australian reveal that almost 400 serious adverse reactions have been reported to the Therapeutic Goods Administration, some involving children as young as three.





Cases include the sudden death of a seven-year-old, and a five-year-old who suffered a stroke after taking Ritalin. Children also experienced heart palpitations and shortness of breath after taking Dexamphetamine.





Others taking Ritalin or Dexamphetamine - the two most commonly used ADHD drugs - experienced hair loss, muscle spasms, severe abdominal pain, tremors, insomnia, severe weight loss, depression and paranoia.





Almost 60 of the adverse-reaction reports dating back to 1980, obtained under Freedom of Information laws, involved children under the age of 10.








The TGA has asked pharmaceutical companies to provide updated information about any cardiovascular side effects involving ADHD medication. ';The TGA is currently reviewing this new information,'; a TGA spokeswoman said.


Prescriptions for Ritalin increased tenfold after the drug was listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in August last year, reducing the cost from $49 to $29.50, or $4.70 for concession card holders.





More than 5800 prescriptions were written for Ritalin in January this year, compared with 523 in August last year. Prescriptions for Dexamphetamine jumped from 96,000 a year to 232,000 in the 10 years to 2004-05.





The US Food and Drug Administration is reviewing 90 studies to determine whether ADHD drugs were linked to the deaths of 25 people, including 19 children, between 1999 and 2003. ';
people are just prejudiced and think about stereotypes instead of facts. i have a teacher who has ADD, and he is soo cool! he takes med for it too, and i dont' see why he's so different from any of my other teachers. People just need to accept the fact that the stuff you get with a perscription, is not the same as the one you buy on the street, even though they're both called 'drugs'.
MY GOSH GUYS ARE ANY OF YOU ADHD ??DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE??TRY BEING IN YOUR CHILD'S HEAD WHEN IT'S GOING ABOUT 900 MPH.I WAS THERE ABOUT 26 YRS AGO THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED RITALIN I WAS A ZOMBIE THAT DIDN'T THINK, EAT,SLEEP OR FUNCTION LIKE A CHILD SHOULD...BUT MY LITTLE GIRL IS ON ADDERALL AND I SEE NO SIGNS OF WHAT I WENT THROUGH I ONLY SEE A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE .A HAPPY LITTLE GIRL .THAT'S MY JOB AS A PARENTS TO MAKE SURE SHE IS PROTECTED AND HAPPY .AND IF IT TAKES MEDS SO BE IT . AND IF I'M WRONG GOD HAVE MERCY ON ME ..SORRY JUST MY 2 CENT'S
I totally agree with you. My youngest son is 7 and he is ADHD. I was told by the guy that i was dating ( Who by the way had NO children) that if i put him on the medication he would never speak to me again. Well needless to say we don't talk anymore. My kids come first. My son too was one of those who had no friends, he failed first grade last year and he was totally off the wall. He is now on the Honor Roll this year and he has more friends than he can handle! LOL So all i have to say is that if you do not have a child with ADHD or ADD you can not judge those of us that do.
I ABSOLUTELY agree with you! My son also has ADHD and it seems like people just do not understand and he has been labeled as a ';brat'; often. We are our children's only advocates..kudos to you for being a good mom.
I think the rap on ADHD and ADD stems from the fact that the syndrome has only been loosely defined by its symptoms, and no solid scientific root causes have been identified.





For instance, take the common cold. The actual physical causes have been identified, the biological processes studied and charted, blood chemistry finding published, etc.





With ADHD, the common practice is for unqualified persons (i.e., school teachers with no medical training or education) to make wholesale, binding diagnosis based purely and exclusively upon anecdotal behavior that can have a multiplicity of possible causes other than medical - and there is no objective medical testing procedure for ADHD...yet pharmaceuticals are often prescribed in very short order!





Now, please don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying that every diagnosed case of ADHD is a sham, it's foisted on us by the drug companies, or anything like that. All I'm saying is that if you haven't established scientific foundations and don't have an objective, published diagnosis procedure, how do you know you have a real medical problem? It fails all the accepted scientific criteria by which we assign a diagnosis. How do you KNOW that the root foundations are nutritional? Or environmental?





What necessary in this dialogue (and, is sadly absent) is a good dose of humility and objectivity - humility for folks on both sides of the dialogue to accept reasonable questions and admit they don't have all the answers, and objectivity to try and understand what intelligent scientists and caring parents are contributing.





Best to you.
Many people have a habit of just talking without knowledge. Many things in which science is not clear is simply made hostage by these people. ADHD is also one of the unfortunate disorder in common man as well as physicians are some time confused some even deny existnce of ADHD. My own son diagnosed as ADHD had not responded to Ritalin again ADHD diagnosis was asked is it exist? but now with medicines usually not given for ADHD in developed world are tried for my son and he had responded to these medicine. Now he is much better in communication with his parents, his sister and his school colleagues. People without knowledge will continue to talk what ever they like to say but we who are actual sufferer know how much medicines help.
I agree with you. My ten year old has it and it took 4 years for the docs to realize that was the problem. Before he was on meds, he failed every class, even gym because he was so hyper, he couldn't follow directions. Now that he's been on it for a year, he's made straight A's all last school year.
I was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 19. Prior to that time it was thought that you had to be hyperactive (ADHD) for a diagnosis. Since then I have learned how medication helps, and that it is not the solution but rather just a piece of the puzzle. I have learned that organization of my life is the most important, and the medication helps me with the level of concentration that I need to keep my life organized. Each person is different but I encourage anyone who is looking for help to find psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in ADD/ADHD. There are also a lot of non-profit support groups that can help.





It is genetic. My father was diagnosed only after I was. He is also medicated, and let me tell you, it has improved both of our lives. It is not something to be ashamed of. Do diabetics question if their doctor tells them they need to take insulin? It is a chemical imbalance, which means that our bodies are not producing enough of the chemicals that trigger concentration. My father suffered from depresion for years due to his ADD being undiagnosed.
I know exactly how you feel; thank you for verbalising your thoughts. It's nice to know i'm not alone in the battle for understanding and acceptance.





Cheers.
  • buy make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment