Saturday, July 31, 2010

Very confusing times! Helpful advice from people 22+?

22 goin on 23 just had kind of a detailed question, wanted to know what your thoughts are. I'm going to college so in the meantime I work at a restaurant with a lot of younger kids and a few people my age, most of which aren't very goal-oriented and believe getting wasted on a daily basis is what life's about. I don't think I'm better than any of my co-workers but am starting to feel like the ';mother hen'; of the group and have trouble relating to anyone on a friendship level and I've heard through the grapevine that I'm quite snobby/stuck up/what have you...





These opinions shouldn't mean much from people I don't consider friends but I'm human therefore it bothers me somewhat. How can I be myself and follow my goals without coming off as a snob? Should I be looking for another job to be around more people that I have things in common with? I feel I'm still at a bit of a tender age where I question just about everything...Very confusing times! Helpful advice from people 22+?
19 here, so I don't quite qualify, but I'm at college/university now and have lived a bit, had management jobs, done alright myself and felt the infuriating frustration of people I have thought to be complete losers; the majority that is, and I still get that feeling sometimes but I found that you can't use yourself as a benchmark for other people and you can't expect them to share your motivations, from someone fairly driven it makes no sense to you that people can be so utterly complaicent about their lives but that's the difference between you and them and that will only ever change if they see it for themselves and not through your brooding over them or telling them that and they will always think of you as snobby/stuck up because you're not a drooling, drunk, idiot and make them feel bad about themselves but their pride doesn't allow them to register it that way, so you have to see it from their perspective, it's quite hard to put yourself in someone elses shoes and accept them as they are; that doesn't mean you have to be friends with them, and find your place among those on your wavelength. These people are sufferable, but you will never have a meaningful connection with them, because they will frustrate the hell out of you while at the same time despising and resenting you; you need to be superficial, utilize the gift of making other people feel important and pretending to take an interest in the mundane and often disgusting things they do and make sure you have a circle of friends or colleagues outside the workplace to keep you from going crazy; because lets face it - you're working there to pay bills and help you on your way to some place higher, they plan to be there for life - don't go moving about trying to find place and purpose right now, your job is a stepping stone and as long as you think of it that way, you'll be fine.Very confusing times! Helpful advice from people 22+?
are you there boss..if not just do your job and go home ..dont indulge yourself in pettiness
I'm 23 and I understand what you mean about being goal-oriented. I think you should just continue on with your job, finish school, and then move on. Just because you are goal-oriented does not mean you are snobby or stuck up. It just means that you realize life is not about getting wasted every day. Are your college friends like you at least? I know most of my friends from college are similar to me and we do a lot of intellectual stuff together instead of partying all the time. But if it makes you feel better, I've always been goal-oriented and I graduated college at 21 and I work two jobs, have my own apartment, and a new car, and I have money saved up for a rainy day. So being goal oriented at your age is a good thing, so I wouldn't let their comments bother you too much. People mature at different times. Some people earlier than others.





But, if you're really worried about it, maybe just ask them how they're doing and let them talk about their favorite subject....themselves. People always like to talk about themselves so I think if you just show an interest in them, even if you don't want to be actual friends, this might solve the snobbish/stuck up problem.





I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment