Saturday, August 21, 2010

32 years old and considering the army. Real advice from people who were in a similar situation, please.?

I am 32 years old, been happily married for 11 years, 1 child , and 1 on the way. I have been in one industry all my life and am ready for a change. My 1 regret was not going into aviation when I was younger. I now have the opportunity to make the change but am a little behind the power curve due to my age. I have also always wished I joined the military in my younger days. From the research I have done the only branch I would probably qualify to fly helicopters is the Army. I also meet the criteria to come in as an officer. My age however is getting close. I understand they will do a waiver up to 34. I support the military and believe that you should serve your country should you feel the call so that another won't have to. I know I WILL be deployed. My worry is for my family. I like the stability they will get from the benefits but would miss them terribly while I'm gone. I will do 1 contract and get out to pursue my career. Need advice from similar situations. Thanks.32 years old and considering the army. Real advice from people who were in a similar situation, please.?
I'm not sure if I can be of any help but I'll answer anyway. My husband is Army Recon. He's currently deployed for 15 months and we have a son. Life isn't always fun and sometimes very hard on both - his and our end. But it really depends on your (and your family's) attitude if your job will be rewarding or not.


I see many families ever day, some growing through what life brings them and some breaking. But I honestly don't think that it's because of the situation they're in.... it just might speed things up a little.


The benefits are not overwhelmingly awesome, but it puts us at ease when he's deployed... we know whe don't have too much to worry about and a network to rely on.


I believe that if someone decides to join the service, it is a family decision. If the wife feels like she won't be able to handle two kids all by herself (relatives might not live close by) or if the kids are very sensitive or have special needs, maybe a different job might be better for your family.


Regarding your age... we have a friend who joined at 32. He tackles the physical requirements without any problems and finds his job very fulfilling and rewarding.


I wish you good luck with your decision and career.32 years old and considering the army. Real advice from people who were in a similar situation, please.?
32 is a little old to be playing soldier. It will totally destroy your relationship with your family.
I joined at 18 myself.....however:





Squad Leader in Basic 31 years old


Several others in late 20's


Met a 33 year old ex banker in AIT.





They all made it thru Basic. Mine was at Ft. Ord, Monterey CA and we did get some hot days. The guy in AIT did Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood MO. Hot, humid and loads of double time to and from the range.





They all survived, did well....and so will you Dad.





Nothing like flying just off the deck @ 120 knots, doors open, people below hitting the dirt....aahh the good old days!





SSG US Army 73-82


Avionics/Signal
All I can contribute to this is to consider your family. Your wife probably has a career of her own, your kids may already be settled into school, sports, etc.





Don't suddenly uproot your entire family becasue you want to chase a dream you had when you are younger. So many military marriages fail because wives want a different kind of life.





But, if your family is willing to make sacrifices of their own happiness for yours, then go for it. Especially being an officer-you're family will have great pay, great stability, and a whole community to support them.
At your age you should opt for a support MOS rather than combat arms or direct support. The Signal Corps, AG, Military Intelligence Corps, the Quartermaster Corps, Transportation or Corps of Engineers. Aviation will have you being away from your family as it is a direct combat support field. In garrison you will be able to complete more college and spend more time with your family.
excellent. do it. it wont be easy.





i am 27 and with a wife. like you i regretted not doing it at 18 but then i wouldnt have met my wife.





being a pilot is unlike any civ job and the army is the best for your situation. plus you promote faster and have more opportunities.





if you dont do it now, your window will close and you will regret it. you can retire at age 52 with full benefits for your family.





EDIT - If your wife is stay at home, it makes it easier. The Army will take care of her and make sure she has all she needs. The housing is great. Its tougher because my wife wants a career but may join the Army too, we don't know yet. I try not to push one way or the other.
I would say, do what you feel like you should do. It WILL be hard though because when you go in you will have a lot of young guys that will be able to tell you what to do and that may get frustrating. My advice if you join, dont go in there trying to prove anything just because you are older. Just be cool with the young guys and you should do okay. It will be hard on the family but they will receive great benefits from the Military. You will have to be content with leaving them behind for small periods of time...and even a long period of time (Iraq). I hope that gives you a small idea but it really is never too late. I hope you make the right decision. If your looking to come in making a little more money try getting college in and becoming an officer!!
I would give you the same advice as I gave my nephew:


Serving your country is a great thing. And the armed forces may provide types of training that you could not get elsewhere.





You might want to weigh the benfits with the risks. 32,000 of our brave men and women have come back from Iraq with missing hands, arms, legs, eyes, with burns and other horrible, disabling injuries. And 4300 have not come back alive.





Watch ';Alive Day Iraq';, and listen to the stories of these heroes and heroines, and decide if what you get is worth that risk. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.
I have a few things to add. First, you should be able to get flight school as part of your enlistment. If you want to fly (as your main job), you want to be a warrant officer. If you go commishioned officer (liutennant, captain, etc.), you can fly, but will do much less flying. If you want to fly when you get out, you will get much more time (flight hours) as a warrant. Also, remember that as a pilot, you will have to serve 6 years AFTER flight school. That means about 7 years (or a bit more) minimum. But, as flight school is nearly a year, your family can go with (pretty sure... know for sure for those going to flight school that are allready in).

No comments:

Post a Comment