Thursday, August 19, 2010

How much regard to you give the advice from people who...?

Haven't actually held a newborn baby in their arms that belongs to them?





Someone who hasn't had 1 single sleepless night taking care of a newborn baby?





Seriously...How much regard to you give the advice from people who...?
If they don't have kids they generally don't know what the eff they're talking about, so I don't really put any stock into what they say.How much regard to you give the advice from people who...?
I think it's funny when people who haven't had babies yet lecture about motherhood. I've heard lectures here about baby-led weaning, cloth diapers, sleep-training, breast feeding, discipline and the necessity/non-necessity of various baby products from people who are either pregnant, or in some cases, not even expecting. I think it's funny.





In real life, an newly pregnant acquaintance of mine informed me that she was going to do elimination training instead of diaper and that anyone could do it with the proper dedication. Which, I know some people manage it, but come back and talk to me about it *after* you've had your baby, okay? LOL.
Wow. I think about this all the time.





My SIL who is actually newly pregnanct is ALWAYS giving me advice. Everytime I see her. We bounce my son in our arms and she says ';shaky baby syndrome'; if he turns towards the TV she says ';they shouldnt watch TV until they are 2';.





I ignore it completely, I am going to love trying to get her child to NOT watch TV until he is 2 years old and not bouncing her baby when he/she wants to play. I just take it all with a grain of salt that I toss over my shoulder.
I will only consider advice if its from someone who has raised a child the same age or higher than the one I am talking about. SO If I ask a question about my baby, I'm looking for answers from moms who have experienced similar situations with a child his age. I also ignore some answers regardless of parenting because they seem so obvious to me.





I do very much ignore answers that involve public school, spanking, or cry it out.
I don't listen to them. No one can tell me how to raise my family. I will gladly listen to your advice and suggestions, but ultimately, it's me who will decide the dynamics of MY family. It's so easy for people to say something, but it's a lot harder to practice this!





If you are referring to Seth, he's a kid. A freakin immature kid. He's that guy in high school that played jokes on everyone, the one that laughed when someone fell or spilled their lunch, he's the one that made you cry when he made fun of you. He's the one that is the most pathetic LOSER you have ever seen when you go back to your 10 year high school reunion. He's the one you will laugh your a#$ off at b/c he's living in some sh$% hole of a place with crappy clothes and a beer gut, working at some fast food restaurant. He convinces himself that he's still ';cool'; but really everyone just feels sorry for him. And of course, you are going to wonder why you ever even cared what he said!
I don't listen to their advice AT ALL! It would be like if I had given advice before I actually was a mom and I didn't have a clue! Until someone actually has the experience of being a parent they have no idea what it is all about. I could have never imagined how hard some things can be but also how great and amazing others are. My sister thinks I am spoiling my son because I pick him up and nurse him when he is upset. I figure if nursing him calms him down, why not do it? She will understand when she has a baby and so will the person you are talking about. (I think I know who)





BTW I love your new pic!
I don't listen to anyone who hasn't had children because THEY DON'T KNOW. I've personally only had my mother-in-law watch my daughter once and that was for about 10 minutes while my husband and I ran to the store for an ingredient for dinner. As cliche as it sounds, I felt incomplete without my daughter for that 10 minutes and I don't know how I'm going to handle leaving her behind while my husband and I go out for a night of fun when he comes home. I'll probably end up waiting until she's weaned from nursing. I'm soooo going to miss the nursing!





Oh! And when my husband came home on leave, I left her alone with him for 10 minutes because I needed something at the store again, LOL. She was asleep when I left and when I came home he was playing with her trying to get her to smile. She was only 5 weeks. I miss him so much and can't wait until he gets to hold her again.
Bahahaha I remember before my baby was born thinking I knew how it was going to be. He was going to sleep in his own crib, in his own room and be on a schedule from day one. Ya right. I got a mommy education real fast. Its funny how my instincts are completely opposite to what I thought I'd do...and I wouldn't want it any other way :)





So yeah I don't put much stock in advice from non parents.
I'm sure they mean well, but it's soooo easy to read something in a book or hear someone say ';this is how it's done';.... but that doesn't mean crap once it's your own baby and you have to do what's right for your own family.





Some people need to grow up and get a life. I have to wonder what these people are like in real life. I have to wonder if this man's wife even knows what he's up to? I bet she doesn't. I bet if she saw how her hubs was treating all of us, she would be shocked.
No kids = no idea and man are they in for a shock if/when they become a parent. I often wonder how some people on here ask questions when they are pregnant or about to become a Father and they already have such strong views - ';we are going to use the CIO method'; - umm, ok, wait until you're in that position.
If they are not a mother or haven't taken care of a baby/toddler 24/7, then i don't take their advice at all.





I have to laugh at all the kids that answer parenting questions and actually criticize mothers for doing this or that... what the hell do they know?? They are not mothers..
LOL, I get what you're saying. Like how men will sit and yell at the TV when a football game is on. It's as if they know exactly what the football team should be doing, although most average guys have never played a single game of pro-football.
Actually it doesn't really matter to me whether the person is a parent or not. I don't believe anything until I research the hell out of it. But until then, I'll give the benefit of the doubt I suppose...
I pay them no attetion what so ever if anything i correct them of what i know, NO ONE will tell me what to do or what i should do if theyhave never walked a mile in my shoes
It really depends on the situation. Most of the time they probably don't know what their talking about, but sometimes they may have overheard, or had close family and experienced things.
If they have no experience, then I don't need it. Of course, they can answer a question, but I disregard the answer. I come here for answers from experienced mothers.
';If they don't have kids they generally don't know what the eff they're talking about, so I don't really put any stock into what they say.';





Ditto.
I don't listen to parenting advice from people who aren't parents, simple as that.





xxx
is some cases yes and in some no


as for advice i dont listen anyway


to moms with 8 kids or no if they are nags
You are right it is not the same. Haha. Especially that holier than your attitude! Boy is he (or she..) In for a sir-prize!
It's no surprise to me she's stupid. Look who she married.
Hold on, I kind of take offense to the one single sleepless night comment.





I consider myself to be well rounded in the information I know regarding newborns. I know what I believe in, I don't push it on others and I do try to understand where others are coming from when we differ in opinions. I try not to belittle people with their answers.





I have been through hell and back with several different medical issues with my son since he was born. I consider myself to be a good parent and those around me whose advice I look at and listen to (such as yourself) a good parent as well.





So my advice can't be warranted and shouldn't be regarded because I haven't had a sleepless night with a newborn? My son was a heavy sleeper since he was born....he only ever woke up once a night and at 4 weeks started sleeping 12 hours a night. But I am still his parent and I still try to give good advice on what I thought helped my son sleep through the night (although I'm still not sure how I got that lucky).





I know you're talking about someone in particular and not myself, but still....








ETA: I also have a good friend (although we're not anymore) whose advice I listened to even though she had never had her own child. She had her sister's children with her since they were newborns because her sister always dumped them on her. I took her advice because of her experience.





ETA: Ok, just checking! I read it and I knew who it was aimed at but was like wait a second, I got tons of sleep but I do know what I'm talking about with things I've been through! Then I was like wait, I got tons of sleep but man I am still exhausted EVERY SINGLE DAY! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment