Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dealing with moderate to sever Alzheimer... Advice from people familar with it.?

My grandmother has had Alzheimer for a few years. In the past two months things have gotten so much worse. She now has bouts of yelling at the television and can't tell reality from fiction. She yells violent things and cursing. It's hard to deal with because I'm here day in and day out with no breaks until Sunday where I have the day. What is the best way to calm her? What is the best way to deal? And how can I understand this new change? It was hard because I was in my early/mid teen years when she was diagnosed. Then I finally started to understand but being here and watching this drastic change that not even her new medicine helps with I just have a hard time letting go of what I remember from my childhood to now. Any advice you have would be helpful. ThanksDealing with moderate to sever Alzheimer... Advice from people familar with it.?
the first thing you need to do is speak with the doctor and make sure this change is nothing serious and ask him for advice.Also contact an Alzheimers support group - the doctor can tell you how to do that.I give you a lot of credit for caring for her.My Mom has dementia and I take care of her too and it is getting very difficult.I am a nurse for 25 years and have a lot of experience.I can tell you that Alzheimer's is progressive.Have you considered trying to get some help at home?Most insurances will cover some or all of the cost.You really need a break because if you fall apart who will take care of her?I have a brother who deserted her after her stroke ,that was 2 1/2 years ago.I am in charge of everything and it is not easy.Do you have other family members willing to help?You need to do something for you for once and don't feel guilty - I bet she would have wanted you to do that if she understood what was happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment