Monday, August 23, 2010

Please, I need as many people to give me advice on this as possible.Very important.No Joking please?

I own a small workshop. Last Monday, I had to leave early and only the workers were at the workshop. They are 2 workers ,and very honest. I trust them very much.


They sold things with the amount of 250 pounds on Monday. When the time came to close up, one of them put the money in the drawer of the desk , and they closed the doors and left.


The next morning, I came and asked for the money, it was gone. They looked for it every where , but they couldn't find it.There was no sign for any break in or anything.As I said , they didn't steal it. But what I think has happened is that they left the place for 3 or 4 minutes, which they often do, and someone got the money from the drawer.I decided to split the amount. I would pay 100. The one who had the money would pay 100. The other one would pay 50.But this last one refused . So I said o.k but I told him that if he ever leaves the place again, I would fire him. He got so upset and left. U think I was right or wrong ?wt should I have done ?Please, I need as many people to give me advice on this as possible.Very important.No Joking please?
this is a very difficult question, because, let's face it, enta keda 2ata3t 3esho! (u made him lose the only source of money he's got)


and coz of no real fault.. i mean, he shouldnt have refused to pay, but still, this is the punishment u give one who STOLE the money! not refused to pay damages!


i think a better solution would have been to force him to pay the money, i.e. cut it off his wage, and if he refuses, then HE should leave.. not that YOU fire him.. if that is what happened here, then i think u should give him a call or something in a couple of days to ask if he wants his job back, ON CONDITION he pays.. after all, he's trusted employee of urs..





i know ur not asking abt legal consequences but i'll mention it anyway.. im a law student and i vaguely remember something abt having to warn ur employee first before firing him for certain actions.. cant really remember what these were.. the point is, maybe what u have done is considered illegal.. however, it's not like he's going to sue u! but just so that u'll know for later on ya3ni..Please, I need as many people to give me advice on this as possible.Very important.No Joking please?
well, it seems that YOU didnt read my answer.coz after i said not fire him etc, i wrote ';if that is what happened here, then ...'; meaning that if in fact u didnt fire him%26amp;he left on his own, then ...


its just that u misunderstood me


%26amp;by the way, NO im not feeling guilty,%26amp;thx for the 10 points!!!

Report Abuse



I think you did it right but my intuition says the one who offered to pay it all stole it................... and your best employee walked out.





Of course he could have just felt very guilty and offered to pay it all...





========================
In the U.S., it is illegal to make an employee pay for any or part of this mess.





Live and learn. Chalk this one up to experience and lock up your cash from now on!
I think the one who left probaly stole it and felt


guilty is why he walked out. If he had really done nothing wrong it would not bother him


you saying not to leave shop unattended. From


now on take the money everyday when you close up or have them bring it to you.


If the one who left doesn't return you have your thief.
okay i agree with you your shop should never be left unattended unless they were just right outside the door getting a cig dont make the older person pay the extra it ant fair and just make it clear that you dont want to make a big deal but your running a buisness and you have to be able to account for what goes in and out why didt you just take it outta there paychecks it would have been simpler but i guessing you were upset
1) If you asked them to reimburse you, then I think it should have been split evenly among them. 2) I think the kid who walked out should have considered himself LUCKY that you only wanted him to reimburse 1/3. 3) I think you should hire someone else to replace the kid who walked out.
tough situation.. I think you worked it out alright
You are the boss. As much as it pains you to see someone who is probably close to you since there are so few of you working together, you had to be the authority on the case.





I think that you handled it very well and diplomatically. By leaving the building empty and unlocked with essentially loose money, they may as well have stolen it since they left it open for someone else to do it.





No worries. I think you were right and fair.
you should have stayed there yourself, and if they left the business at all and didnt lock it they both were responsible for the money and i doubt you can legally make them pay but you can fire them both. its up to you however.

No comments:

Post a Comment